The Hicks House | 1990 | Mitchell, Ontario

 

House, the founding hotel in the town of Mitchell Ontario from the 1870’s is now a mixed-use residential and commercial building. In the late 1980’s it was abandoned and in very poor condition when a group of local citizen’s fought to save this landmark from the wrecking ball. The restoration of the façade was partially funded by Ontario Heritage; for the new windows, masonry cleaning and the provision of the 1920’s balcony design. Twelve apartments were created from the original 30, “dollar a night” hotel rooms. The decorative tin-work was removed, bullet holes repaired and restored to its original design.